Happy Emmy Awards day! As we speak, TV stars are getting glammed up to make a splash on the red carpet and potentially take home a shiny new trophy.
I say, why let the celebrities have all the fun? Host a viewing party tonight and serve these easy, elegant hors d’oeuvres, inspired by the classic Italian Caprese salad. They look fancy but it’s as much of a facade as that double-stick tape on your favorite starlet’s dress. In all reality, this Pizza Month recipe will leave you plenty of time to play fashion police and make your winning predictions (go Kerry Washington and Downton Abbey!).
These are so flavor-packed yet light, even if you eat the whole recipe for your snack, you’ll have no trouble fitting into your black tie gear the next time you’re suiting up.
Caprese Cracker Hors d’Oeuvres
Makes 9 crackers
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 9 large basil leaves
- 9 whole grain 34° Crispbread crackers (or other round crispbread cracker)
- 1/2 ounce part-skim mozzarella cheese or vegan option of your choice, grated
- Preheat oven to 450° and line a sheet pan with foil, then top with nonstick spray.
- Slice tomatoes into about 1/4-inch slices (the thinner you slice the crisper they will get, so adjust accordingly depending on your preference).
- Spread out tomato slices on prepared pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast tomatoes for about 15 minutes, or until they reached your desired doneness, to create “chips.” Allow the tomatoes to cool a few minutes after removing the pan from the oven so the tomatoes will be easier to remove in one piece.
- Lower oven heat to 350°. Top each cracker with one basil leaf, then one to two tomato chips and an even amount of cheese.
- Bake for about 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Nutrition info per cracker: 13 calories, 0.5 g fat, 0.5 g fiber, 1 g protein
Who are you rooting for at the Emmys tonight?