Little in life says, “Thank you,” “I appreciate you” or “welcome to the neighborhood,” than freshly baked goodies. Don’t you think (and agree with this quote from Buzzfeed)?
As a sign of gratitude for my co-workers who covered duties while I was away in Iceland, I baked up a big batch of cookies. These were not just basic cookies, mind you. With summer just coming into full swing, I decided to share s’mores-inspired cookies!Taking a cue from Wallflour Girl, I gathered graham crackers and chocolate chips to add to the dough. But unlike her original recipe, my variation contains no trans fat-filled margarine or white flour, but does include antioxidant-packed dark chocolate rather than regular semisweet chips and whole grains. Consider these Graham Cracker Chocolate Chips a decadent indulgence that’s been somewhat “healthified.” After several rave reviews at the office, I knew I had to share the revamped recipe with you!
Give these cookies a try this summer. And when you do, since you’re making so many smart swaps, there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t stuff a toasted marshmallow between two cookies for a dessert sandwich. Because it’s all about balance, right?
Healthified Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Cookies, adapted from Wallflour Girl
Makes about 36 cookies
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat two cookie sheets with nonstick spray.
- Melt coconut oil if solid and stir together butter, oils and brown sugar. Add egg whites and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
- Slowly add dry mixture to wet, stirring continuously. Once the consistency is even, gently fold in graham cracker crumbs and chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into rounds about the size of a teaspoon each.
- Space out on the prepared cookie sheets and gently flatten (since they don’t spread out much during cooking).
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until you can hear the cookies begin to make a “crackling” noise and the tops begin to slightly brown.
Nutrition information per cookie: 100 calories, 6 g fat, 47 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 1 g protein
S’mores: Yay or nay?