I was a pretty weird kid.
Each year when the Independence Day parade rolled around, I had a major case of mixed feelings. I loved seeing the floats, bands and dancers, but secretly found the whole affair to be quite uncomfortable. While the other kids saw the candy tossed out by the float-riders as the main draw, I’d rather let all the others have it than fight them for it. Yup, my aversion to confrontation started early. Very early.
The day redeemed itself, though, with the fireworks show and red, white and blue-colored menu. Did anyone else always have a flag cake for dessert?
Inspired by that dessert and The Cottage Home’s berry cones, I created a refreshing, nutritionally well-balanced treat that’s perfectly patriotic.
And one more fact my inner-peace-keeper would love: These Americones (hat tip to Stephen Colbert for the naming inspiration!) are a single-serving dessert, so each person gets her own. No need to battle for your berries!
- 1 tablespoon vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup blackberries
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 small waffle bowl, such as Let’s Do Organics
- Mix protein powder and almond milk until it reaches your desired glaze consistency. Stir in zest and lime juice.
- Pour berries in (or in and around) waffle bowl.
- Top with protein glaze and enjoy!
Nutrition information per serving will vary based on protein powder and waffle bowl used, but my Americone had about 140 calories, 1 g fat, 26 g carbohydrates, 5 g fiber, 7.5 g protein
What is your favorite Fourth of July tradition—culinary or otherwise?