A recent girlfriend outing to Creme Cupcake’s Dessert Lounge left me in dessert ecstasy. A pal and I split an ooey-gooey Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake.
First of all, how could anything that involves both chocolate and peanut butter be bad?! Second of all, can we talk about how extravagant lava cakes seem? They arrive looking like a regular single-serving dessert. Then your mind and taste buds are blown as soon as you take your first bite. “Oh hello, creamy center!”
Inspired by this yummy treat, I set out to trim the calories and fat but keep the indulgence. My cake happens to be vegan and gluten-free, not to mention totally delicious. Oh yes, did I mention the whole cake takes only 10 minutes start to finish and has only 140 calories? There’s no need to save this for your next birthday or special occasion. Try it today!
Single-Serving Chocolate Peanut Butter Lava Cake, slightly adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie
- 3 tablespoons chickpea flour (or flour of choice)
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons stevia baking blend
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons peanut flour (such as PB2)
- Lightly coat an 8-ounce glass ramekin or bowl with nonstick spray.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, stevia, vanilla, milk and applesauce until your batter is lump-free.
- Mix peanut flour with 1 1/4 tablespoon water.
- Pour half of the chocolate cake batter in the prepared ramekin/bowl, top with peanut mixture, followed by the rest of the cake batter.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds. The center of the cake should still look slightly undercooked (this means the center is still lava-like!).
- Invert ramekin/bowl on top of a plate and gently tap until cake releases. Eat warm.
Nutrition information: 141 calories, 4 g fat, 20 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 10 g protein, 140 mg sodium
What dessert screams decadence to you? I’d love to try to recreate more lightened-up treats based on your picks!