Sure, you’ve had peppers on your pizza. But have you ever had pizza in your peppers?
My Pinterest feed has been full of Mexican-inspired stuffed pepper recipes, which got me thinking: why not go Italian?
Not only is this fresh, nutritious meal full vitamin C and very low in sodium, but it’s also super-filling, vegan and totally customizable with your favorite “toppings.”
Pizza Pasta Stuffed Peppers
- Small spaghetti squash, enough to yield at least 2 cups of flesh
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3/4 cup portobello mushrooms, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce (I used—and calculated nutrition info with—my favorite Rising Moon Organics variety)
- 2 leaves fresh basil
Nutrition information per serving: 131 calories, 1 g fat, 7.5 g fiber, 5 g protein, 175 mg sodium, 258% of your daily vitamin C
Next time, I think I might swap in quinoa for the spaghetti squash for a serving of whole grains and even more protein! In fact, I might just have to try a new variation for dinner tonight. If the results turn out well, I’ll report back with another recipe!
Four other twists I’m looking forward to trying:
- Italian-Style Stuffed Peppers from Dashing Dish
- Hannah’s Turkey Stuffed Peppers from The Biggest Loser
- Quinoa and Beef-Stuffed Peppers from Carolynn’s Recipe Box
- Couscous-Stuffed Peppers from Reader’s Digest
What is your favorite stuffed food?
Does an ice cream cone stuffed with frozen yogurt count? If so, that’s my vote.