I hope you all are enjoying your holiday season so far—I know that I am! Here are three quick info bits to keep you thinking healthy, even when traveling, baking or busy:
1. Lighten up your holiday cookies. Baking up some cheer in the kitchen? Tanya Zuckerbrot shares her tips to slim down your recipes without losing the taste on That’s Fit. Classic sugar cookies or snickerdoodles are made more healthful using part whole-wheat flour with part white flour, egg whites instead of whole eggs and applesauce in lieu of some of the fat (butter or oil).
(Image from McCormick)
2. Stay healthy during the hectic season. CNN has gathered the four reasons why too many of us fall ill during the holidays, and have passed along tips to avoid getting sick. Follow these steps to slow the spread of viruses this (or any!) winter:
- Cough in the crook of your arm
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer, especially when in crowded public places like the mall
- Get a flu vaccine
- Plan for plenty of sleep and stay hydrated by toting a water bottle and sipping often
3. Speaking of sleep…Plan to get plenty of it. We’ve learned from previous scientific research that getting plenty of zzz’s can help keep you slim. Now a new study says that those who are more well-rested look more attractive! So make sure to slip under the sheets before the big holiday parties still to come, and you’ll make an even greater impression than I know you already would
What is your top way to stay healthy during this season?